We are hiring!
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia (some regional travel required)
Nexus seeks a dynamic and driven Carbon Finance Project Manager (“Project Manager”) to manage and execute against a portfolio of carbon finance projects in Southeast Asia.
The Project Manager will support Nexus’ carbon finance activities, with a focus on sourcing, developing, and monitoring carbon finance projects from beginning to end. The position holder will be a key contributor throughout the deal cycle with the following core responsibilities: 1) emission reduction modelling, 2) support on sourcing and origination, 3) project management 4) support on creation/modification to project documentation and partner negotiations, and 5) monitoring of methodologies and industry trends.
We have a strong pipeline, and the Project Manager will have the opportunity to participate in a range of deals that are at varying stages.
Working closely with the technical team and reporting to the Head of Carbon Finance, the ideal candidate will take an interest in and contribute to the strategy of both ongoing projects and new business development.
CARBON PROJECT DEVELOPMENT
- Conduct screening analyses of projects to identify basic eligibility for carbon certification, potential methodologies, estimated emission reductions, and estimated resources required for development.
- In addition to learning and executing against technical criteria of a carbon project, the candidate will also consider and weigh the socio-environmental benefits of projects and factor these into assessments of candidate projects.
- Work with and manage project partners (VVB, registries) through the carbon project cycle from design stage to issuance of carbon credits including assisting the team in designing baseline and monitoring surveys, developing project design documents, monitoring reports, conducting validation and verification field visits, etc.
- Manage co-benefits information and data collection on projects for coordination with the Carbon Finance team and the Communications Manager, i.e. social return on investment and SDG impacts.
- Participate in the preparation of PDD, POA, VPA, monitoring and reporting activities for external and internal purposes;
- Support the carbon credit sales function by sharing technical information and supporting information requests from carbon buyers;
- Support both the internal Finance and Carbon Finance teams with estimating costs, timelines, and capacity for new and existing project development;
- Project planning and resource management – deliver on projects successfully with strong time management skills; and
- Stay up to date with carbon market news and developments including technical methodology updates to new opportunities for project development.
Competitive candidates will have:
- At least 3 years’ work experience in corporate or nonprofit sector with experience in carbon project management.
- Knowledge about VCM and carbon project methodologies (Gold Standard or Verra a plus).
- Familiarity with or eagerness to learn about various technologies in the sectors of clean energy, water, reforestation, blue carbon, regenerative agriculture and waste management, in particular those most relevant in a development context and demonstrating most market potential for carbon finance scalability.
CARBON PROJECT TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Market intelligence and expertise in methodologies.
- Emission and cost modelling skills; advanced user of Microsoft Office, specifically with Microsoft Excel to conduct data analysis and emission reduction model development.
- Experience with managing workplans and project management.
- Comfortable with providing budget calculations.
- Experience working with contracts and legal agreements.
- Innovative mindset with ability to approach problems by applying critical thinking and analysis;
- Proactive, problem-solving and willingness to adapt in an evolving role;
- Team player, at ease working in a small structure where tasks and responsibilities are shared as needed;
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Able to create and manage strong and productive relationships with stakeholders;
- Ability to summarize and communicate complex information in a simple and engaging way;
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written. Knowledge of other languages (e.g. Khmer or other Southeast Asian languages) a plus.
THE OPPORTUNITY OFFERS
- Flexible work environment
- 40 days of annual leave including public holidays
- Training allowance
- Flight home provided for international staff after each year of work
- Visa provided
- Work Group Person Accident insurance
- Health insurance and travel insurance
- Support for childcare
- Reports to: Head of Carbon Finance
- Term: Permanent position under Cambodian law. Minimum commitment of 2 years requested.
- Renumeration package: Negiotiable
- Start date: ASAP
- Closing date: 30th November 2023
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application here. Your cover letter should address how you meet the key qualifications and requirements of this position by providing examples from previous roles. We encourage all qualified applicants – local and international – to apply.
Our People & Culture
Share | Encourage | Support
We work as a team and focus each day on the positives. We acknowledge, embrace, and celebrate our own efforts and achievements and those of our teammates.
Learning | Reflection | Quality
We incorporate into our daily routine constant improvement to support personal and professional growth and development and ensure that we are leveraging our experiences to make each day fulfilling.
Ownership | Transparency | Responsibility
We are accountable to our teammates and to our external partners. We take ownership for our work as a team.
Communication | Open-mindedness | Engage
We recognize the potential that a balanced approach to collaboration can bring to drive better outcomes.
Reliability (to others) | Honesty | Alignment
We trust in our own abilities and our teammates to be aligned to work towards common goals.
- Bi-Annual staff retreat
- Training opportunities
- International events
- Work Health insurance
In and around our Phnom Penh office:
- Weekly Khmer lesson
- Great coffee
- Beautiful view of the royal gardens
- Best selection of Asian food and river-view venues